One thing I absolutely love for breakfast are cinnamon rolls. They are so sweet and decadent, and the cinnamon filling is just to die for! The only downside is how long they take to put together. Having to knead the dough, waiting for it to rise, cutting them into slices; its just a lot of work. When you have the time, its totally worth it to make them. But, what about when its already Saturday or Sunday morning and you don’t want to wait for 2+ hours to have breakfast? After all, you want your morning coffee NOW! Well, today I have just the recipe for you! It has all the cinnamon goodness of those rolls, but the “sweet” thing about it is it only takes about 5 minutes to throw together. Yes, you read right!
This Cinnamon Cake is one you will make over and over again. I was so happy to come across this recipe on the Budget Savvy Diva’s website. She definitely created a winner!
My husband and I love to have this cake straight out of the oven for dessert, or enjoy it for a couple mornings with our coffee. Pop a slice in the microwave for a few seconds and its breakfast time!
All the ingredients are things you more than likely have on hand. You can add some chopped walnuts on top for that extra crunch if you’d like. My husband doesn’t care for nuts, so you’ll notice in the picture that I left them out. And as I said, this cake only takes about 5 minutes to put together, and only 30 minutes to bake. You’ll be in sweet cinnamon heaven in no time!
Hope you guys enjoy!
- 1 2/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup milk
- 2 tsp. vanilla
- 2 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- Pinch of salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/4 cup melted butter
- chopped walnuts (optional)
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease a 13×9 pan with butter or cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, mix all cake ingredients and pour evenly into greased pan.
- Mix together the brown sugar and cinnamon and sprinkle it over the cake batter.
- Drizzle the melted butter over the top. (The butter will cause the brown sugar mixture to start to sink into the cake batter. It’s what will give it the “swirl” throughout the cake after its baked. Don’t skip this step!) If you’re using walnuts, sprinkle those over the top.
- Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a cake tester/toothpick inserted comes out clean.