Have I mentioned my love of Pinterest before? If not, now is the time for me to share my obsession: I could spend HOURS (and honestly my whole day) on Pinterest! In fact, when we hit slows periods at work, I often use that time for “pinning” 🙂 But shhh, don’t tell anyone! lol.
This recipe is one I found on Pinterest a couple years ago and have made many times over. My husband is crazy about these Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps, and I am too! They’re like every type of Mexican “wrap” you can find combined into one. They’re awesome!
These wraps have so much going for them: spice, creaminess, bite, and just pure yummiliciousness (Yes, I believe that’s a word, don’t hate)! If you’re a lover of Mexican food, you’d be crazy not to try them!
And just to give credit where its due, the original recipe was created by Mel of Mel’s Kitchen Cafe. And I applaud her for her creation. We made a couple adjustments to fit our tastes, so feel free to tweak this recipe however you choose. I just hope you try it out!
Crispy Southwest Chicken Wraps
- 1 cup cooked rice, warm or at room temperature
- 1 cup cooked, shredded chicken (you can also use shredded pork or beef)
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1/2 medium yellow onion, diced
- 1/2 red or green pepper, diced
- 1/2 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic salt
- 2 cups shredded cheese (we use a Mexican-blend)
- Sour cream (optional)
- 6 burrito-sized flour tortillas
- Mix rice together with chili powder, cumin and garlic salt.
- Add remaining ingredients, except for cheese and sour cream.
- Sprinkle cheese over tortillas, leaving 1/2-inch border around edges, then arrange chicken and rice mixture down the center of each tortilla. (Optional: Mel said “I like to dollop little bits of sour cream over the cheese before arranging chicken and rice mixture down the center – it makes the wraps delightfully creamy.” I do this as well, and its great!)
- Roll stuffed tortillas, leaving edges open and slightly flatten the wraps with the palm of your hand.
- Spray seam-side of the wrap lightly with cooking spray.
- Heat a large non-stick skillet (or griddle) over medium heat.
- Arrange wraps, seam-side down, in pan or griddle and cook until golden brown and crispy, about 2-3 minutes per side. (Cooking them seam-side down first helps seal the long edge so they don’t fall apart.)
**Original Recipe from Mel’s Kitchen Cafe**