I cannot believe we already a whole month in for 2017. Its just baffaling how quickly time flies sometimes!
This past month, my husband and I have been talking about out goals for this year (a little late since people usually have them down by Jan 1!).
One of our goals is to complete a 10 week at-home workout, which we just started last week. We both don’t want to spend the time or money on a gym membership, especially since we would both rarely go. So, I found this at-home routine that only takes 15-20 minutes and you do it Monday-Friday. My muscles have never been so sore! You don’t know how out of shape you are until you start working out, haha.
Another goal we’ve discussed is a new budget plan to keep our finances in check this year. We usually do OK most of the time, but I really want us to save more money this year. Hopefully we are on the right track to do that!
One of the ways we’re going to save money is by cooking at home more. I already cook at home most days of the week. However, there are some weeks that are more busy than others, thus I’m more tired, and I just don’t feel like spending any time in the kitchen. I’m hoping by making some new recipes this year that I will be inspired to get in the kitchen even more!
One recipe I actually have never made – until last week! – is Cheesesteak Sandwiches. I’ve made a version with chicken, which is delicious and a bit cheaper, but I wanted to try making a steak version to mix things up. Steak is not something we buy, its more of a treat we get when we go out to eat. So its not an ingredient that’s familiar for me to cook with.
I was pleasantly surprised at how easy it was to make these Cheesesteak Sandwiches. As I mentioned, the cost was a bit more than I’m used to spending on meat (because we are chicken eaters), but it was well worth it! And you can always wait to make this recipe when steak goes on sale to cut down costs.
The recipe is super simple. You’ll slice up some green pepper and onion, season and cook it for a few minutes, then add in your sliced steak. Put it on some bread, add cheese and melt and you have yourself a delicious sandwich!
Try it out this weekend 😉
- 1 – 1 1/2 lbs. ribeye steak (depends how much meat you want per sandwich)
- 1/2 green bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1/2 red bell pepper, thinly sliced
- 1 small white/yellow onion, thinly sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 cups shredded provolone*
- 4 sub rolls
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Salt and pepper to taste
*You can also use shredded Italian blend cheese, as my local grocery actually did not have just shredded provolone. You could also uses slices of provolone, probably 1-2 per sub depending on their size.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Lay each sub roll on its own piece of foil and leave them on the counter until your meat mixture is cooked.
- In a large skillet, heat your olive oil on medium high. Add in the sliced veggies, garlic, salt and pepper. Cook for 3-4 minutes, or until veggies are a bit softened. Stir the veggies a couple times for even cooking.
- While the veggies cook, thinly slice your ribeye steak (Tips: use a good, sharp knife to slice. Also, freeze the steak for 30 minutes prior to slicing for a much easier experience!).
- Add the steak to the skillet, plus more salt and pepper to taste. Break up the meat into smaller pieces as it cooks. Cook until meat is no longer pink, stirring occasionally.
- To each roll, add 1/4 of the meat and veggie mixture. Sprinkle with 1/2 cup of shredded cheese (or layer 1-2 slices).
- Wrap the sandwich in the foil, leaving some space at the top so the cheese doesn’t touch the foil completely.
- Place directly on an oven rack and heat for about 8-10 minutes, or until the bread is a bit softened and the cheese is melted.