I’m really getting good with my weekend meal prepping. It seems to be getting easier for me to follow through with it, which is great since I know its saving us money!
If you like to meal prep, I cannot recommend doing sheet pan meals enough! It is such a time saver and makes for easy clean-up. Sheet pan meals are a big thing right now, which I’m sure you know if you’re on Pinterest.
My usual meal prep includes chicken, veggies, rice, and some sort of Asian-inspired sauce. This past week, however, I decided to mix things up. I was inspired by this post and this post to do a pasta dish with a balsamic sauce. And I’m so glad I did!
This pasta dish is filling, but also seems light – like a pasta salad – from the sauce and veggies. There was a bit more clean-up than I would usually prefer, but it was worth it! Tip: If you try this recipe, be sure and read all the way through before beginning to get an idea of what prep work you’ll need to do.
I used red bell pepper and broccoli in this recipe, as those are two of our faves and are easy to roast in the oven. But, feel free to use whatever veggies you like! Just know the balsamic sauce is tangy and sweet, so you want veggies that pair well with it.
If you meal prep, I would highly suggest trying this recipe out! It makes enough for my husband and I to have prepared lunches for most of the week. Obviously, you could also make this for your family for dinner, or half the recipe if there’s just two of you. Options here, people!
Maybe I’ll eventually post my Asian-inspired dish that I often meal prep as well. You need variety sometimes 🙂
Balsamic Chicken & Veggie Pasta
Servings: 6 (good-sized portions)
- 1 lb. boneless, skinless chicken breasts, diced into bite-sized pieces
- 2 red bell peppers, sliced
- 2 cups broccoli florets
- 1 lb. penne pasta
- 2/3 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 4 tbsp. honey
- 2 tbsp. light brown sugar
- 2 tbsp. olive oil for sauce + more for cooking
- 2 tsp. each salt and pepper + more for taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees.
- On a large sheet pan, spread out your red bell pepper and broccoli in an even layer. Drizzle 2 tbsp. olive and sprinkle 1 tsp. each salt and pepper over veggies. Mix them up with your hands to coat all the veggies.
- Roast at 425 for 15-20 minutes (Note: I only do 15 min. because it keeps the veggies a little crisp).
- While the veggies roast, heat a large skillet on medium high with 2 tbsp. olive oil.
- While the oil is heating, boil the water for your pasta – cook according to the package, drain, and set aside until the chicken is finished.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the balsamic vinegar, olive oil, garlic, honey, light brown sugar, and a little salt and pepper.
- When your oil is warm (it will sort of be rippling when you look at it), add in your diced chicken and sprinkle with 1 tsp. each salt and pepper, plus more for taste if needed. After about 5 minutes, turn your chicken and pour in half of the balsamic sauce (It will bubble up for a bit, but that’s normal!). Cook for about 3 more minutes, or until chicken is no longer pink inside, then turn off your heat.
- When the veggies and pasta are done, add them into the pan with the chicken. Pour in the rest of your balsamic sauce and stir the mixture.
- Serve for dinner with crusty bread, or divide into well-sealed meal prep bowls (Note: Let the meal prep bowls cool completely before refrigerating).