It’s a New Year, which means most of you are trying to eat healthier. So, this pasta recipe may have you clicking elsewhere for meal ideas.
However, I like to be realistic when trying to eat healthier and know that I’m still going to want a big bowl of pasta every now and then. And you know what… that’s OK! Nutrition is all about balance, in my opinion.
So, for those of you who want to stick around and find out what this dish is all about, welcome to the carb side! (see what I did there?)
One pot meals have quickly become a favorite of mine. I mean, only one pan to clean after making dinner? Sign me up!
This recipe combines an indulgent bowl of pasta with the mouth-watering taste of tacos. The combination may sound weird at first, but trust me, you won’t regret trying this recipe. My hubby and toddler gobble it up every time I make it!
You can adjust the heat level of this dish to your preference. We use a mild salsa since my toddler eats this with us. However, if you like it spicier then I say go for a medium, or even hot, salsa.
Adding some sour cream and crushed tortilla chips on top is the way to go for us! But feel free to add taco sauce, jalapeno, extra cheese, whatever your taco loving heart desires.
Hope you guys enjoy the recipe!
One Pot Taco Pasta
- 8 oz. small pasta noodles (I used Medium Shells)
- 1 lb. ground beef
- Packet of taco seasoning (or you can use a homemade recipe like this one)
- 1 cup salsa (mild, medium or hot)
- 4 oz. can diced green chilies
- 2 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup shredded Mexican cheese
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Additional toppings: Sour cream, jalapeños, tortilla chips, etc.
- In a large skillet (that comes with a lid), brown ground beef on medium high.
- Once cooked, drain grease.
- Add the ground beef back to the pan and stir in taco seasoning, water, salsa, pasta, and green chilies. Note: Be sure the noodles are covered in the liquid so they cook properly. Push them down a bit if needed.
- Bring mixture to a boil, cover and simmer on medium low heat for about 15-17 minutes, or until pasta is tender.
- Add cheese, salt and pepper to taste, and stir to combine.
- Serve with desired toppings.
*Recipe adapted from Mother Thyme*